Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mr. Green's Silly Willy Soup


(a.k.a. Lettuce Soup)

This recipe was introduced to me through a local produce co-op group I recently joined. The original recipe is here.

This is probably the weirdest thing I've ever made and I'm so glad I did. My 7 year old won't touch salad, but he happily ate and loved this soup. (I made sure I didn't tell him what was in it only that it was a silly soup). My 3 year old... well she didn't hate it and ate it... only so she could have dessert. Yup, I pulled one of those threats on her. As we ate our lunch my children officially named the soup, "Mr. Green's Silly Willy Soup."

1 medium or large onion
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 head of romaine, washed and cut into thin slices
5 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup of coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
shredded cheese for garnish (optional)

In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat until melted and hot. Add onions and sprinkle with a little salt, reduce heat to medium and saute until onions become translucent. Then add the garlic cloves and saute for a minute or two.

Add the broth, potatoes and some salt and pepper. Simmer for about 8 minutes then add lettuce and simmer another 4-5 minutes. Add fresh basil and simmer until everything is soft and add vinegar. Blend in a blender or hand mixer until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste and serve. (in our case, with crackers) Yum!

No comments: