Sunday, November 27, 2011

Ham and Potato Casserole


This amazing recipe was given to me a year ago by my friend. I tweaked it a bit to my liking and cooked it up for dinner tonight. It was so yummy, I just had to share it. This is NOT a healthy recipe by any means. It is creamy comfort food at it's finest so enjoy, but don't count the calories.

Ingredients
left over Holiday ham, chopped
4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheese
salt & pepper to taste
french fried onions (optional)
1 recipe white sauce

White Sauce recipe
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 1/2 cup of milk
salt & pepper to taste
Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and mix well. Add milk, salt and pepper. Stir until thick over medium heat. Set aside while prepping the casserole.

Butter a baking dish. Line bottom with layer of sliced potato, top with onions, and a layer of ham. Repeat layers 3 times. Pour white sauce over layered casserole and help sauce run down between the layers. Sprinkle with cheese. (I used swiss but any cheese will work.) Cover with foil and bake on 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 35 minutes. Top the casserole with french fried onions during the last 15 minutes of baking. Serve along side your favorite vegetable. ENJOY!!!!!

No comments:

Honey Wheat French Bread

This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is  here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...