Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

I'm a sucker for soft pretzels. Years ago when I was in college I had a roommate who actually had the recipe for Annie Anne's pretzels. If you haven't had one of their pretzels before let me just tell you, they are the closest flour will ever get to pure heaven. At least for me. Well sadly years ago I lost the recipe. For years I've wanted to find a recipe that I really love. This one comes pretty close but, I think in the future I may tweek the recipe a little. I guess it will depend on my mood at the time.



1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup water at room temperature
1 tbsp soft butter
2 cups unbleached bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp active dry yeast
pinch of sugar
8 cups water
2 tbsp baking soda
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water

Mix the whole wheat flour with 1 cup water. Let sit for 20 minutes so the water is absorbed into the flour. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and pinch of sugar. Let sit until foamy and bubbly, or about 5 minutes. Mix in butter, bread flour, salt and yeast mixture to whole wheat flour mixture. Knead dough in the mixer until it is smooth and elastic or about 4 minutes. Cover and let rise until dough has doubled, or about 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease two baking sheets. Make water bath by boiling 8cups of water in a large pot.

Turn dough out onto countertop sprayed with a little cooking spray so your counter won't be sticky. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope about 1/2 inch thick, then twist into a pretzel shape with fairly short ends.

Once the water is boiling add baking soda. Add pretzels to the pot 2 or 3 at a time so they have plenty of room. Boil them for 1 minute. After a minute when they are nice and puffy, use a slotted spoon to transfer to a baking sheet. When all the pretzels have been boiled, brush with egg whites and if desired sprinkle with kosher salt on top of each pretzel. Bake for 13-16 minutes or until the pretzels are nicely browned.

second option: While still warm from the oven dip pretzels into a cinnamon sugar mixture.

So good!


No comments:

Honey Wheat French Bread

This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is  here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...