Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cookies with Coconut Oil

My sister-in-law is on a special diet right now and she's been experimenting with substituting healthier ingredients in everyday foods. One of the ingredients she uses now is Coconut Oil. When we were out in Utah visiting, another nephew of ours was also visiting her. He has severe allergies to nuts, diary, and eggs. So she tweaked her recipe for him (used an egg substitute method and dairy free chocolate chips). Overall, I thought the cookies were quite dense, but had a great flavor and I really had wanted to eat more than just my one to sample the recipe. She gave me the recipe the other day, so I thought I'd share it here.

I'll write the regular version and put the healthy substitute beside it:

1 cup butter (She uses expeller pressed coconut oil, found in health food stores or can be ordered online)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar (in place of the sugars, she uses either Xylitol or Agave)
1 tsp vanilla
1 or 2 eggs

Cream those together, then add:
3 cups flour (she uses 1 cup white flour, 1 1/4 cup wheat flour, and 1/4 cup flax seed flour)
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda

Mix together and then mix in:
1 cup Oats
Chocolate chips (according to your taste)

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes

No comments: