Sunday, October 31, 2010

Classic Scones



I don't know about you, but I'm a big fan of scones. I have tried a few different times to make these yummy things and each time they turn out horribly dry and more like a brick than a moist muffin. The other day I was at a 31 party where Chaleace served the best scones I've ever had... seriously. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the recipe and try it out on my family. Enoch picked out the cranberries, but everyone else loved them. I promised Enoch I would try them with chocolate chips next time.

Classic Scones

preheat oven to 425
Whisk together thoroughly in a large bowl:
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
Stir in: 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp grated orange zest (optional)
Put in 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream...

Mix with rubber spatula, wooden spoon or fork just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gather the dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of the bowl 5-10 times, turning and pressing any loose pieces into the dough each time until they adhere and the bowl is fairly clean.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and pat dough into an 8 inch round or square about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8 or 12 wedges or squares (however large you want) and place at least 1/2 inch apart on large ungreased baking sheet.

Brush tops with Heavy Whipping Cream and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Bake until tops are golden brown 12-15 minutes.
Let cool on rack and serve warm.


No comments: