Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Pies

Ready for ANOTHER blueberry treat? I made these twice last week. Once to experiment and then again for when I hosted book club. Originally I thought the dough was a little boring. That's when my Mom and I thought adding a little cinnamon and salt would help.


Filling
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch or white flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups fresh blueberries

Mix together and place in prepared pie shells. Filling is enough for 1 9" pie crust or 72 mini pies.

Pie Crust
1 stick cold butter, cut in pieces
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
pinch of salt (optional)
5 tbsp cold milk

Place dry ingredients in food processor with butter. Mix until it forms a meal. Then slowly add cold milk. Dough is done when it forms a ball. Makes 1 9" pie shell or 24 mini pies. For 9" shell press into a greased pie dish. For mini pies form dough into balls and place in mini muffin pan.



Use a pastry tool to hollow out the center. Scoop about a tsp of blueberry mixture into each pie. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until done. Cool for 5 minutes in pan then transfer to a cooling rack. Serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You are killing me with all of the wonderful blueberry posts! Those little pies are just so cute. I love the cinnamon in the crust. Delish!