Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Spinach and Cheese Strata


Eggs seem to get a bad wrap, high in cholesterol blah, blah,blah... What I've learned lately is that if you add a little vitamin C to an egg it basically becomes the perfect food. So with your egg in the morning have an orange or better yet... add some Spinach which has more Vitamin C. This recipe was originally on Annie's Eats and when I saw it I knew I had to try it. I tweaked it just a bit and made it my own. I've been learning about the health benefits of Kale and thought this would be a great recipe to sneak some in. This meal was a big hit tonight and I couldn't wait to share it with you.

3 T olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 cup chopped fresh kale
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
dash ground or fresh nutmeg
8 cups cubed french or Italian bread, cut into 1 -inch cubes (I used a loaf of Kirkland brand 100% Whole Wheat organic)
6 oz coarsely grated Gruyere (about 2 cups) (I used cheddar cheese because that's what I had.)
2 oz finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2/3 cup)
9 large eggs
2 3/4 cups milk

Over medium heat saute onions in olive oil until soft, add garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg and continue to cook for 1 minute. Stir in spinach and kale, remove from heat and set aside.

Spray in inside of your 9x13 dish. Layer the bottom of your dish with one third of the bread crumbs and half of your cubed bread. Top with 1/2 of your spinach and kale mixture add half the cheese. Repeat this layer one more time. Top with remaining bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.

In a medium bowl, combine eggs and milk. Whisk together until blended and pour over your layers. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours or up to 1 day.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350. Bake uncovered until puffed, golden brown and cooked through, 45-55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

note: I didn't have a full 2 cups of cheddar when I was putting this casserole together. This dish was so good we didn't even miss the cheese. Just in case someone felt like it was missing a little umphf when I served this dish I warmed up the left over cheese fondue from the other night to serve as a sauce on the side. Enoch preferred a little catchup, and Ada had a little ranch, (I know! gross right?) plain or with sauce this dish ROCKED! You serious have to try this recipe. For breakfast, lunch or dinner it's perfect.

No comments: