Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Whole Wheat Corn Bread Experiment

Last night was Taco Soup left overs for dinner. I felt like making dinner a little different than the night before so I created a new corn bread. I wanted to make it a little more healthy since the soup was high in sodium. Here is what I came up with.



1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup minus one rounded tablespoon whole wheat flour
1 rounded tablespoon ground flax seed
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup skim milk
2 eggs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 can (11 oz) shoepeg corn (or any corn)

Mix dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mix wet ingredients together; then combine with dry ingredients. Then add the can of corn draining at least half the water. Do not over mix. Place in a greased 8x8 or 8x10 baking dish. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Makes 12 servings.

Verdict: According to livestrong.com each serving is only 141 calories. Both my 2 and 5 year old loved this corn bread. It was light and not dry at all. I was also suprised how sweet it tasted. In the future I think I'll add more cornmeal and less flour so it feels and tastes more like a traditional corn bread. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Honey Wheat French Bread

This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is  here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...