Over Christmas my sister-in-law made these super delicious pancake for the family. My first thought was "sounds strange", but I absolutely loved them. I hadn't ever thought to expand on pancakes other than an occasional chocolate chip pancake like my mom used to make for us. Hope you like them as much as I did, it changed pancakes forever for me.
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 egg yolk
zest of 1 lime
zest of 1 orange
zest of 1 lemon
citrus syrup (recipe follows)
whipped cream (optional)
1. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Measure out milk in a glass measuring cup, and whisk in eggs, butter and zests. Pour into dry ingredients and whisk until just incorporated, but still lumpy.
3. Grease a nonstick griddle set to medium with a teaspoon of butter. Spoon out batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto the griddle and cook until small bubbles form on the batter but do not break. Flip pancakes and and cook for 30 more seconds. Place all finished pancakes in a warm oven until ready to serve.
4. Serve with citrus syrup and whipped cream.
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Whisk all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.