Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cream of Cauliflower

Due to great deals and lack of communication among the adults in the house. {he he} The fridge had a huge amount of fresh cauliflower with no planned use. With the cooling weather I decided to give soup a try. Even as I was slicing and dicing I wasn't quite sure what I would put into the pot. This recipe is based on what I had readily available in the kitchen at the time. This soup actually turned out so well it is now one of my favorite fall soups. It's nice and creamy without being too thick.


4 cups shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar/ Monterrey jack mix
2 medium heads of cauliflower, cut into small and medium sized florets
6-8 stalks of celery, diced in 1/2" pieces
5 medium carrots, pealed and diced into 1/2" pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 cube butter
3 cans (16oz) low sodium chicken broth
6 cups water & 6 chicken bouillon cubes
1 1/2 cups white flour
2-3 tsp ground nutmeg
3 cups whole milk (canned milk suggested for at least 1/3 of the milk)
salt and pepper

Place onions, cauliflower, carrots, celery, chicken stalk, water, bouillon cubes in a large stalk pot. Add salt and pepper, bring to a boil for about about 5 minutes. In a separate pan on medium-high heat melt butter, then add milk, flour and nutmeg. (I mixed the flour and nutmeg together before placing in the pot.) Whisk the flour mixture together until it thickens then add to stalk pot, stir often. Add cheese to stalk pot. Bring pot to a simmer until it slightly thickens, about 5 minutes stir often. Serve with a slice of your favorite bread.

No comments:

Honey Wheat French Bread

This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is  here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...