Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mamma Sue’s Mexican Rice

1 cup uncooked rice
1 T olive oil
4 oz. tomato sauce (can use spaghetti sauce, too.)
2 cups water

½ Finely chopped onion
1 or 2 Crushed garlic
(some times I'll add a little Italian seasoning...(strange i know, MEXICAN rice... but it makes it taste good. of maybe it's just the Italian in me...)
Salt
Pepper

In a non-stick sauce pan, lightly cook rice with olive oil on medium/ low heat. Add tomato sauce and water, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes, till nice and sticky!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Here is a variation on this family favorite. I use a rice cooker for all my rice needs. Add one 6 oz can of tomato paste into your rice cooker with 4 cups of rinsed white rice. Add sautéed onion and garlic (I sauté in a little butter and olive oil), add a can of chicken broth and then add water so that you have a total of 4 1/4 cups of liquid between the broth and water. If you like to live on the wild side add 1 tsp cumin. It's umm umm good!

Honey Wheat French Bread

This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is  here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...