Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fish Tacos


DON'T KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU TRY IT! One of my favorite west coast dishes are fish tacos. Now that I live far far away I thought I'd make my own. My Mother and Brother were a little worried about the meal. They had never heard of such a thing. However, once they tried it they loved it just as much as my husband, kids and I do.

4-6 tilapia or cod fish fillets, uncooked
2 egg whites -optional
Old Bay seasoning
1/2 cup flour
broccoli slaw
cheese (I use Colby Jack and Cheddar mix)
salsa- optional
fried corn tortillas or taco shells

Take your raw fish fillets dip in beaten egg white then dip into a mixture of old bay and flour. (I use about 2 -3 tsp of old bay per 1/2 flour). Place fish on a greased cookie sheet and bake 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees depending on the size of your fish. You will want to turn over the fish half way through the baking process to help with the browning, careful not to scrape off your seasoning. You want the crust to brown, but don't over cook your fish. Your fish should flake easily when done. Once your fish is cooked break into pieces and place in your taco shell. Top with cheese, and broccoli slaw

Note: For my broccoli slaw I buy the pre-shredded broccoli in a bag and follow the same recipe as my coleslaw. If you don't want to use egg for dipping you can use water. By using low fat ingredients this can easily be made as a low fat meal.

No comments:

Honey Wheat French Bread

This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is  here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...