Saturday, July 4, 2009
Extra Flaky Pastry:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 T sugar
3/4 cup solid shortening (butter flavored)
1/4 cup ice water
1 T vinegar
1. Sift together flour, salt and sugar; cut shortening into flour mixture.
2. In a small bowl, beat together ice water, egg and vinegar. One tablespoon at a time, sprinkle liquid mixture over flour mixture and fluff with fork as you go.
3. Cover and chill while preparing pie filling.
1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen raspberries, thawed and drained (reserved)
2 cups pitted, canned or frozen cherries, thawed and drained (reserved)
4 T corn starch
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 T butter, chilled
Dash of salt
Dash of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, 35-45 min.
1. Thaw cherries and raspberries by placing in a strainer and allow the juice from fruit to collect in a bowl. Reserve this juice and add enough water to the juice to make 1 1/2 cups.
2. In a medium size saucepan, combine the 1 1/2 cups liquid with cornstarch, sugar and salt; stir to dissolve.
3. Cook over med/low heat, stirring until mixture is thick and clear.
4. Add raspberries, cherries, almond extract, orange zest and cinnamon and stir gently.
5. Divide prepared pastry in half, roll out one half on a floured surface; line a 9" pie plate; pour in pie filling. Top filling with chilled butter- divide it into 6 or 7 pieces.
6. Roll out other half of pastry; place over pie; seal and crimp. Brush surface of crust with beaten mixture of 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon of cold water. Dust top with sugar after it comes out of the oven, cool on rack for at least 2 hours, before serving, to allow it to solidify!
This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...
Many of you Californians may have had the privilege of eating at El Pollo Loco. There chicken is straight grubbin'! Food wise it is an a...
Kevin grew up on these yummy guys. I don't make them often, but when I do they are always devoured. I'm posting my Mother-in-laws ...
also known as German Pancakes. This is a super easy and very yummy breakfast recipe. It's a family favorite that we have on special o...