Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pizza Layer

Yesterday I was standing in front of the fridge looking at the random ingredients I had to create a meal. (I didn't plan ahead and we are low on everything.) So this is what I came up with. Pizza Layer!


It's in serious need of a new name, but it's still early for me and I'm not in a creative mood. Maybe you can help me name it. Also, this meal doesn't photograph well because of the sprinkled Parmesan. Sorry about that.

Ingredients:
Pizza or Marinara Sauce
peperoni
diced onions
mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese
flour tortillas

Start out by spraying your 9 x13 dish. Then drizzle about 1/4 cup sauce (or less) in the bottom of the dish. You don't want too much sauce on this layer because your tortillas will get soggy. This also prevents from your tortillas getting too crunchy to cut with a fork.

Next layer 2-3 flour tortillas. (I take the 3rd tortilla and cut it in half to place on either side of the gaps left from the other two tortillas.) Then place a light layer of mozzarella cheese. Add your peperoni, onions and any other favorite toppings. Then add another layer of cheese. This helps your toppings stay in place. Don't add sauce at this point, again to prevent the tortillas from getting soggy.

Then add another 2-3 tortillas and repeat layer of toppings and cheese. Place another 2-3 tortillas on top. Add Mozzarella cheese then drizzle with your favorite red sauce. Don't add too much because you don't want your leftovers to be soggy. Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve with sauce on the side. (optional)

After baking it's just like a layered Stromboli without all the heavy dough. My family loved it and I loved it because it took less than 10 minutes to put together. SCORE!

No comments: