3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 container (6 oz) lemon yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 box (16 oz) confectioners' sugar
2 Tbs. lemon juice (from cake)
Yellow food coloring (optional)
1. Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cake release. set aside.
2. (A)Zest lemon peal (about 2 tsp.) Set aside for cake batter. (B)Juice lemon. Set aside for frosting.
3. In medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, wisk together milk, yogurt and vanilla. In a large bowl, beat butter, and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy. beat in eggs, one at a time beating well after each.
4. On low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in three additions, alternating with milk mixture. Beat well after each addition. Fold in zest. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
5. Bake layers at 350 for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed lightly. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Carfully invert cake layers directly onto racks and let layers cool compleatly.
6. Frosting: Once layers are cool, beat butter, 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar, the reserved lemon juice (about 2 Tbs.) and 2 Tbs. water in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in remaining confectinoers' sugar until good spreading consistency. Tint with few drops of yellow food coloring. To frost cake, place one layer on a plate or stand. Spread top of layer with 1 cup frosting. stack second cake layer on first and begin frosting side of cake. Continue around side of cake, then finish top, swirling decoratively. Serve immediately or refrigerate before slicing and serving.