2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup lard, or vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup warm milk, or water
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the lard and mix until it is well combined and the mixture looks grainy.
- Add the warm milk and mix until a smooth ball of dough forms, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll the pieces into balls.
- Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- Once rested, roll the balls of dough into 6″ to 7″ tortillas.
- Cook on a griddle, or in a heavy pan, over medium heat until golden brown and puffy.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with a towel while the rest cook.
- Enjoy! Or, allow them to cool and store them in a plastic bag in the fridge. They last for five days ... if you can keep from eating them hot off the griddle.