Monday, June 1, 2009

"Cafe Rio Sweet Pork"

I found this recipe the other day for a copycat recipe of Cafe Rio's Sweet Pork. I haven't actually ever had Cafe Rio's pork but I hear it is really good. My husband, Jason, has had it and he said this recipe is really close to being correct. He really liked it. I loved it but that's probably because I really don't have anything to compare to. We made homemade flour tortillas too. I decided to do taco style instead of burritos. Have fun with this recipe and hope you enjoy it!

The Pork:
1 lb. pork tenderloin
2-15 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 can of coke
1 garlic clove, diced
1/4 c. cilantro, minced
Place all ingredients in Crock Pot on Medium for at least 4 hours. Top with whatever toppings you like on a taco.
You can also make the Rice recipe below and make a burrito the way Cafe Rio does with meat, beans, rice and other toppings.
There are a lot of possibilities with this recipe. I love recipes like that.

________________________________________________________________

If you like the Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Salad then you just make the Creamy Dressing and Rice, recipes below, with the Pork, above, and wah-la you have the salad.

The Creamy Dressing:
1 pkt. Hidden Valley Ranch Mix
8 oz. Salsa Verde Green Salsa (La Victoria Brand)
1/2 bunch of cilantro with the stems
2 cloves garlic
3/4 c. mayo
3/4 c. sour cream
1/8 tsp. hot sauce
Mix in Blender. If needed, thin with Buttermilk

The Rice
8 c. water
8 cubes/tsp. chicken bouillon
2 tsp. cumin
4 cloves garlic
12 Tbsp. butter
12 sprigs cilantro
4 c. rice

SOURCE: http://tommyjess.blogspot.com/2007/10/cafe-rio-recipe.html

5 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I'm totally making this for dinner tonight!

Julie said...

I went to someone's house for dinner on Sunday and they had something similar. I just made it for my crock pot, and it was super easy! I can't wait to try it tonight.

Patti Dilworth said...

I made this and it was yummy. I used Caffeine free Diet Coke as my hubby is extremely sensitive to caffeine. It was still great. We actually put it over rice and it was great.

Amy said...

I added two pounds of pork instead of one and it still turned out great. It's a new family favorite. Thanks again for sharing.

Amy said...

I've made this rice several times now in my rice cooker. I've just adjusted the liquid amount based on my rice cooker directions. I bet it would turn out great using chicken broth instead of chicken bouillon and water. I'll have to try that sometime.

Honey Wheat French Bread

This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is  here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...