Friday, May 29, 2009

Not Your Average "Sloppy" Joe

Anybody remember eating "Manwiches" as a kid? You know - "a sandwich is a sandwich but a Manwich is a meal"? Now that I'm older, I just can't bring myself to using the canned version - it just seems so wrong. Instead, I've adopted this crock-pot favorite for when I get the craving for a good, old-fashioned sloppy joe. Just like I did this week.

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup diced celery
half of a green pepper chopped
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
6 oz. can tomato paste
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard

Brown beef and drain fat. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours. Serve on kaiser rolls with a slice of tomato and your favorite cheese. Oh and don't forget the chips. Yummy!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am so excited about this recipe. I think we actually ate this at your house once. Dang it was good! Thanks for posting.

Jason and Tammy said...

We made these last night for dinner, they were delicious!! so much better then the old canned kind!