Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mandarin Orange Chicken


INGREDIENTS:
  • 3-4 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1/2 c boiling water with 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 1/4 c. ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1/2 c vinegar
  • 1 small can mandarin oranges
  • roasted, salted, sliced almonds
DIRECTIONS:
Mix flour with salts and pepper. Put in bag. Cut chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and dip them in eggs then put them in flour bag. Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken pieces. Mix bouillon, ketchup, worcestershire, sugar, and vinegar and bring to a boil. Put chicken in a 9x13 pan then pour sauce on top. Bake uncovered at 350 for one hour. Baste chicken a few times. When done, top with oranges and almonds and serve over rice. (Note: I didn't have the almonds, so I obviously didn't use them and it still tasted great. You can also use any other nut you like. I have used cashews and it is great with them too.)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Last night I was making this sauce and got distracted. I ended up putting the wrong amount of vinegar into the pot. So in order to save the sauce I tripled the recipe. This turned out to be a perfect accident. I only had thigh and leg pieces in the freezer. So I baked the chicken while occasionally basting with a 1/3 of the sauce. Then I added cornstarch to the remaining sauce to thicken the sauce. After baking the chicken I pulled the meat off the bones and placed over rice with the oranges and thickened sauce. I do think it would taste better following the original recipe with white meat, but the family loved it and gobbled it up. Thanks so much for the great recipe.

Jason and Tammy said...

This is SOOOOO good, I made it a couple nights ago and it is amazing! By the sauce ingredients it doesn't sound amazing but ooh it is. I could not believe how good it tastes. I did not but in any of the oranges b/c we are not a big fan of them and it is still fantastic!