Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Clam Chowder

A few years ago my MIL (Mother-in-law) Carolyn gave all of the girls a really cool cookbook that had hundreds of recipe favorites from her ward. A lot of our meals come from this book. One rainy day I was looking for a soup recipe and found this yumminess. I was thrilled! Did you know you could buy minced clams? I had no idea. I was surprised how easy this was to make and so creamy delicious. I couldn't get a tasty looking photo so I decided to skip it this time. Here is the recipe. Enjoy.

Clam Chowder

2 (6 1/2 oz.) cans minced clams
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 c. diced celery
4-6 diced potatoes, peeled
3 grated carrots
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. flour
1 qt. half and half milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1 can evaporated milk (optional for creamier soup)

Use a 5- quart saucepan. Drain the juice of the clams and pour over the vegetables. Add enough water to barely cover the vegetables and simmer covered, until potatoes are tender. While the vegetables are simmering, melt the butter and add the flour. Stir until smooth and thick. Add half and half slowly to the flour and butter; stir until smooth and thick. Add the milk mixture to the undrained vegetables and clams; heat through. Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste.

No comments:

Honey Wheat French Bread

This is another tweak to Michelle's French Bread Recipe. My first tweak is  here. I don't actually use agave or sugar anymor...